Noun-Pronoun Agreement (Part 2) تطابق ضمیر با اسم ( بخش 2) @GRE_Borzabadi نکته 1: وقتی دو اسم را با not only – but also, either – or , neither – nor ربط میدهیم، ضمیر با اسم دومی باید تطبیق کند. مثال: Not only the handpicked flowers but also the homemade peanut butter pie will win Briana's heart with ITS thoughtfulness. Not only the homemade peanut butter pie but also the handpicked flowers will win Briana's heart with THEIR thoughtfulness. نکته 2: به جمله زیر که مبهم است توجه کنید: In Dan’s essay, HE argues that women should not serve on the front lines of battle. به نظر میرسد که جمله درست است ولی چون مرجع ضمیر نقش اصلی اسم را ندارد و اسم اصلی essay است، از این ترکیبات بپرهیزید و به جای آن جمله را اینطور بنویسید. In his essay, Dane argues that women should not serve on the front lines of battle. نکته 3: به جمله زیر که مبهم است توجه کنید: I have always been interested in a career in nursing and hope to be ONE after I finish the nursing program. مرجع ONE در جمله فوق کدام است؟ اصلا مرجعی وجود ندارد. و جمله را می توان به طریق زیر اصلاح کرد. I have always been interested in a career in nursing and hope to be A NURSE after I finish the nursing program. نکته 4: به جمله زیر که مبهم است توجه کنید: If you visit Egypt, you’ll find that THEY are friendly, open, and welcoming people. مرجع THEY در جمله کدام است؟ مرجعی وجود ندارد و جمله را می توان به طریق زیر اصلاح کرد. If you visit Egypt, you’ll find that THE EGYPTIANS are friendly, open, and welcoming @GRE_Borzabadi تمرین: جمله های زیراز نظر ضمیر ایراد دارند. شکل صحیح هر کدام را بنویسید. 1. According to Newsweek magazine, it states that the earth’s temperature is rising. __________________________________________________________________ 2. The salsa plate was empty, but we were tired of eating it anyway. __________________________________________________________________ 3. They say that the Chinese will soon be the leading consumers of petroleum. __________________________________________________________________ 4. It says in the paper that the president’s popularity is increasing. __________________________________________________________________ 5. In the contract it states that we will not be entitled to overtime pay. ___________________________________________________________________ 6. Neither the students nor Joan was ready to undertake their new responsibility. ___________________________________________________________________ Answer key: 1. According to Newsweek magazine, the earth’s temperature is rising. 2. The salsa plate was empty, but we were tired of eating salsa anyway. 3. It is stated that the Chinese will soon be the leading consumers of petroleum. 4. The paper says that the president’s popularity is increasing. 6. Neither the students nor Joan was ready to undertake her new responsibility. 5. The contract states that we will not be entitled to overtime pay. @GRE_Borzabadi

Noun-Pronoun Agreement (Part 2)
تطابق ضمیر با اسم ( بخش 2)
@GRE_Borzabadi

نکته 1: وقتی دو اسم را با not only – but also, either – or , neither – nor ربط میدهیم، ضمیر با اسم دومی باید تطبیق کند.
مثال:
Not only the handpicked flowers but also the homemade peanut butter pie will win Briana's heart with ITS thoughtfulness.
Not only the homemade peanut butter pie but also the handpicked flowers will win Briana's heart with THEIR thoughtfulness.

نکته 2: به جمله زیر که مبهم است توجه کنید:
In Dan’s essay, HE argues that women should not serve on the front lines of battle.

به نظر میرسد که جمله درست است ولی چون مرجع ضمیر نقش اصلی اسم را ندارد و اسم اصلی essay است، از این ترکیبات بپرهیزید و به جای آن جمله را اینطور بنویسید.
In his essay, Dane argues that women should not serve on the front lines of battle.

نکته 3: به جمله زیر که مبهم است توجه کنید:
I have always been interested in a career in nursing and hope to be ONE after I finish the nursing program.

مرجع ONE در جمله فوق کدام است؟ اصلا مرجعی وجود ندارد. و جمله را می توان به طریق زیر اصلاح کرد.

I have always been interested in a career in nursing and hope to be A NURSE after I finish the nursing program.

نکته 4: به جمله زیر که مبهم است توجه کنید:
If you visit Egypt, you’ll find that THEY are friendly, open, and welcoming people.

مرجع THEY در جمله کدام است؟ مرجعی وجود ندارد و جمله را می توان به طریق زیر اصلاح کرد.

If you visit Egypt, you’ll find that THE EGYPTIANS are friendly, open, and welcoming

@GRE_Borzabadi

تمرین: جمله های زیراز نظر ضمیر ایراد دارند. شکل صحیح هر کدام را بنویسید.

1. According to Newsweek magazine, it states that the earth’s temperature is rising.

2. The salsa plate was empty, but we were tired of eating it anyway.

3. They say that the Chinese will soon be the leading consumers of petroleum.

4. It says in the paper that the president’s popularity is increasing.

5. In the contract it states that we will not be entitled to overtime pay.

6. Neither the students nor Joan was ready to undertake their new responsibility.

Answer key:

1. According to Newsweek magazine, the earth’s temperature is rising.
2. The salsa plate was empty, but we were tired of eating salsa anyway.
3. It is stated that the Chinese will soon be the leading consumers of petroleum.
4. The paper says that the president’s popularity is increasing.
6. Neither the students nor Joan was ready to undertake her new responsibility.
5. The contract states that we will not be entitled to overtime pay.
@GRE_Borzabadi