The jury's verdict was such a surprise that the populace rioted in the streets; nothing less than a reversal of the verdict could ____ them. A. mollify B. emulsify C. denigrate D. petrify E. disabuse MOLLIFY (V.): خشنود کردن If you mollify someone, you do or say something to make them less upset or angry. (FORMAL) The investigation was undertaken primarily to mollify pressure groups. EMULSIFY (V.): ترکیب کردن یا شدن When two liquids of different thicknesses emulsify or when they are emulsified, they combine. (TECHNICAL) It is the pressure which releases the coffee oils; these emulsify and give the coffee its rich, velvety texture. DENIGRATE (V.): تحقیر کردن – کوچک شمردن If you denigrate someone or something, you criticize them unfairly or insult them. The amendment prohibits obscene or indecent materials which denigrate the objects or beliefs of a particular religion. PETRIFY (V.): ترساندن If something petrifies you, it makes you feel very frightened. Prison petrifies me and I don't want to go there. DISABUSE SB OF STH (V.): کسی را از اشتباه درآوردن If you disabuse someone of something, you tell them or persuade them that what they believe is in fact untrue. (FORMAL) Their view of country people was that they like to please strangers. I did not disabuse them of this notion. Correct answer: A The jury's verdict was such a surprise that the populace rioted in the streets; nothing less than a reversal of the verdict could mollify them. ترجمه: رای هیئت منصفه دادگاه چنان تعجب برانگیز بود که مردم در خیابان ها دست به شورش زدند: چیزی کمتر از پس برگرداندن این رای نمتوانست آنه را راضی کند. توضیح: رابطه بین دو بخش حمله رابطه علت و معلولی است. به واقع علامت : بین دوجمله به شما نشان میدهد که باید قسمj بعد از علامت را بخوانید تا بتوانید جای خالی را پر کنید. از علامت های colon و semi-colon به این منظور بسیار استفاده میشود.

The jury's verdict was such a surprise that the populace rioted in the streets; nothing less than a reversal of the verdict could ____ them.
A. mollify
B. emulsify
C. denigrate
D. petrify
E. disabuse

MOLLIFY (V.): خشنود کردن
If you mollify someone, you do or say something to make them less upset or angry. (FORMAL)
The investigation was undertaken primarily to mollify pressure groups.

EMULSIFY (V.): ترکیب کردن یا شدن
When two liquids of different thicknesses emulsify or when they are emulsified, they combine. (TECHNICAL)
It is the pressure which releases the coffee oils; these emulsify and give the coffee its rich, velvety texture.

DENIGRATE (V.): تحقیر کردن – کوچک شمردن
If you denigrate someone or something, you criticize them unfairly or insult them.
The amendment prohibits obscene or indecent materials which denigrate the objects or beliefs of a particular religion.

PETRIFY (V.): ترساندن
If something petrifies you, it makes you feel very frightened.
Prison petrifies me and I don't want to go there.

DISABUSE SB OF STH (V.): کسی را از اشتباه درآوردن
If you disabuse someone of something, you tell them or persuade them that what they believe is in fact untrue. (FORMAL)
Their view of country people was that they like to please strangers. I did not disabuse them of this notion.

Correct answer: A
The jury's verdict was such a surprise that the populace rioted in the streets; nothing less than a reversal of the verdict could mollify them.
ترجمه: رای هیئت منصفه دادگاه چنان تعجب برانگیز بود که مردم در خیابان ها دست به شورش زدند: چیزی کمتر از پس برگرداندن این رای نمتوانست آنه را راضی کند.
توضیح: رابطه بین دو بخش حمله رابطه علت و معلولی است. به واقع علامت : بین دوجمله به شما نشان میدهد که باید قسمj بعد از علامت را بخوانید تا بتوانید جای خالی را پر کنید. از علامت های colon و semi-colon به این منظور بسیار استفاده میشود.